Europa League Mini Tournament 2020

Hello all,

I’ve popped by as a Wolves fan to wish you all the best for the tie against Manchester United. I, and I think our entire fanbase, all hope you can knock them out.

Obviously I am disappointed that Wolves did not progress to the semi-finals, but no Wolves fans are really arguing that Sevilla was not clearly the better side over the 90 minutes.

From our point of view it’s a shame the officials decided not to bother doing any of the supposedly mandatory VAR checks so your defender was allowed to stand inside the penalty area as the penalty was struck and then clear it. Who knows how the match would have gone if we would have taken the lead, but it is in the past now.

Unfortunately we were too physically drained from the long season and had too many players out of form at the wrong time to really show our best side and make it a more entertaining game. We have shown earlier in the season, when the players were fresher, with our performances vs Man City, Liverpool or Tottenham that we can better or at least greatly trouble the CL level sides.

Our squad depth though is just non-existent, so we end up relying on pretty much 13, maybe 14 players, to play every single minute of the campaign, and by match #59 they simply had no energy left at all.

On top of this, some of this small group of players have simply lost their form (Moutinho & Jota have been especially bad in the last 2 months). The loss of two more players who were actually in decent form with a long-term injury and suspension (Jonny and Daniel Podence) worsened our hand even further.

In recent weeks, Traore has reverted back into his normal game with all its normal weaknesses, whereas in mid-season he was really developing with every game and walked all over Manchester City and Tottenham’s defence. I think Nuno only really likes to use him as a substitute, but Jota’s terrible form and Podence’s suspension gave him no choice but to play him from the start.

In the end you saw that Nuno had no subs open except a painfully out of touch Jota and the “promising” Pedro Neto who occasionally does some good things but can also wildly misfire (in Espanyol he literally missed an open goal - it must be on YouTube). The rest of the bench was just under-21 youngsters who maybe play in a first round League Cup tie but very few have even played a league game for us.

By the way, the oil on Traore’s arms is the medical department’s idea is try and eliminate what has been happening too often: namely, that opponents all know he has a shoulder problem which requires an operation and so they know one decent yank on his arm and he will be out of the game (both Man Utd and Sheffield United successfully used this tactic against him). It would be good to let him have the operation but we have so few options and the schedule is so tight, the medics are just crossing their fingers and hoping at least the oil will stop the deliberate targeting of his weak spot.

So, the writing for our display had already been on the wall for many weeks as the team relied more and more on just being “resilient” in games, rather than having the energy to try and overrun the opponent. The loss was ultimately predictable, especially when we got such a difficult draw (maybe vs Basel or Copenhagen we would have progressed to the semi-final).

Anyway, good luck on Sunday. You’ll need to against the penalty record of Man United (“only” 21 given to them so far this season!). They have a highly profitable gameplan of rushing as many players into the opponent’s area at once and falling over if you even go near them. It has already saved their league season, now they want a trophy for it too.

PS Are you all pleased with Lopetegui? He was an interesting factor in this game as he supposedly was about to become Wolves manager in summer 2017 but our takeover took too long and the Spanish FA offered him the national team job in the meantime.

8 Likes

Thanks for stopping by Wolves fan.

I think Nuno has done a decent job for Wolves in overall since taking over, reaching the quarters of EL is never easy and of course, you can’t go further on the conditions that you mentioned (thin squad, tiredness etc.) - but that’s already a nice achievement for you guys.

What I honestly think is that, not only Wolves, but even other similar teams in EPL should prioritize technicality (vision, passes, team-play etc.) rather than physicality a.k.a. pass the ball to Traore and hope that something happens. It might have its sparks, but it’s never good for long term. You can never reach a higher level as a team without technicality and proper team work. Atalanta is relying heavily on team work and is providing very useful for them, they are not very physical or fast, but they play together as a team and not afraid of opponents tougher than them, as could be seen last night as well vs. PSG - that’s a team to admire.

Wolves vs. Sevilla looked like a typical Greece of 2004 team only without the luck. Defending for 90 mins and hoping for some sparks will never get you far, especially in today’s football. If it would still work, Mourinho would still have been a relevant manager, he’s not using such tactics with Tottenham as I could see in some of their matches. The days of Otto Rehagel have ended and cattenacio has died, at least I don’t favor such tactics and for the sake of football, you as fans should not favor them as well. Thankfully a lot of you guys in your forums have despised the strategy of sitting back for the whole game, and Nuno needs to think much better if he wants to step it up with Wolves in the future, otherwise, no one will remember your team.

Sevilla would have never achieved the status it has today, the 5 Europa Leagues (3 ex. UEFA Cup’s) and other glories (cups, supercups etc.) had it played super-defensive football with counters, had it realied only on physicality and pace and had it not been a technical and attacking-minded team. I would personally not have become a fan otherwise, and by knowing some of the guys here, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t have become fans either. The ‘exotic’ play of Sevilla is what lured us in and made us love this club and stay with it in better or worse, not defending and hoofing or counters with sparks.

As for Adama Traore, I think his shoulder problems, beside the pushes and pulls that occur in football matches, training etc. - he most likely (logically) aggravated the shoulder injury from the gym by lifting heavy weights to form that physique. So my advise for him as a neutral fan, admirer of pure football is that he should focus more on being a footballer rather than being a bodybuilder for the sake of his career. You can’t have all that muscle and rely on pace only, without proper shooting skills, technique, short passing and long passing vision, decent crosses, headers, smart tackles etc. Otherwise, the likes of Usain Bolt or Tyson Gay would’ve been the best at football, but it doesn’t work like that. He should aspire to reach say Lucas Ocampos’s level or similar, who is an all-rounder and has pace and physicality but doesn’t rely on that only. There is a reason Adama is not called for Spain senior NT mind you.

As for Sunday’s match vs. Man Utd, I know they are infamous for getting penalty kicks and they pressure a lot offensively, but they are beatable and we have a chance against them. We have held Barca to a draw in Camp Nou, we haven’t lost to Atletico in both league matches (1-1 and 2-2 draws), so I’m pretty sure we can eliminate them, considering our current form as well.

However, even if we don’t - I’m still pleased with the season in overall. 4th place in La Liga (should’ve been 3rd as we are better than Atletico on aggregate but they beat us by 4 in goals difference) and semi finals of EL, especially after all this pandemic crap, considering the new manager, new players and stuff, it’s still remarkable.

I’m a bit worried how the team will respond to the next season in terms of physical fitness, will they run out of gas by the second half of the season, will that affect CL performance and such, everything is still unknown while we can only wait and see what happens.

As for Lopetegui, as I said it is still a remarkable achievement this season considering the circumstances, however, I am not 100% convinced by him and he will need to prove himself in the next season as well. I think we played good (especially after the pandemic pause), but relied on luck many times in the first half of the season - where Lope made a lot of managerial mistakes. We have a contract with him for 2 more seasons and if he does decently the next one, then we should definitely extend his contract. The 4-3-3 that he plays requires very decent players to perform and this will also depend on the summer transfer window. I think the 2020-21 season will be key in forming a complete opinion for Lopetegui.

4 Likes

I would add that Wolves are basically founded on team play rather than individualism, but the Traore factor has rather disrupted that.

Last season he played almost no meaningful role and many fans would have been happy to see him depart, but he made great strides forward (no pun intended) this season in being able to trouble the opposition defences. I think the Usain Bolt comparison is a bit unfair because, although Traore is fast it is speed with the ball at his fee and (often) while dribbling past opposition challenges, it is not simply sprinting in a straight line without any involvement of the football or an opponent to beat.

Nonetheless he has many deficiencies (complete inability to track back, to know what positions to take up on the field, often a total loss of concentration about the game going on around him when he is not on the ball and erratic shooting). It is clear he is not ready for the national team in major competition (which is personally a positive as he gets the international breaks to rest).

In addition, his presence has gradually seen the team use him more and more as the easy option - pass to him and let him move the ball forward. This was/is not actually the basis of last season’s success that took us into Europe in the first place. The team in principle is based on the team unit to defend but on passing combinations in attack.

The problem of Traore is that he plays on the same side as Doherty who was vital as a wingback bursting into the opposition box and creating or scoring (I think he had the some of or the best stats of the PL defenders in this respect last season), this nullifies Doherty as an attacking threat (and he is better attacking than defending) and loses the passing combinations. The other problem is that his presence means moving away from a front 2 of Jimenez and Jota who at their best interlink with one another very well. Jimenez does not really have any understanding with Traore, because he is too unpredictable, whereas with Jota they know how to combine passes instinctively.

Unfortunately Jota is in bad form at the moment and only woke from his depression on rare occasions (a hat-trick v Bestikas, then nothing, then a hat-trick v Espanyol, then nothing, then a super performance v Everton, then back to nothing). It was sad to see him traipse on the field on Tuesday devoid of belief, make one run and promptly lose the ball and vanish. When he is confident he has no fear at all about the opposition defenders. He probably needs to visit a sports psychologist.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the Moutinho-Neves axis in midfield. For me, it is the wrong combination as neither are midfielders who run forward with the ball at their feet. It should be Neves (as the younger player and much better forward passer than Moutinho) plus a mobile midfielder to link up with the forwards more effectively. Moutinho’s age also looked a huge factor in the final months. It was no surprise that Nuno took him off first on Tuesday.

Hopefully we can find new options with new players, as Nuno was uncharacteristically very openly critical after the game about mistakes the club had made regarding recruitment and him being left with not enough quality options to call upon.

Ultimately, though clubs will assemble their teams and playing styles for the main job at hand and that will always be their domestic leagues. You have to take care of business at home before you even get the chance to play on a European level. And there will always be contrasts between what works in one league compared to another. It is the inevitable consequence of the different conditions present from country to country, i.e. first and foremost the climate, the finances available, the cultural expectations of the fans toward the play offered, the different mix of nationalities involved, etc.

I don’t think many clubs consciously view the game as a choice of a) technicality or b) physicality. They simply develop a team they believe will work best for the job at hand. In most cases, both technicality and physicality play a role, just to varying extents from club to club and from league to league.

3 Likes

It is quite interesting reading a Wolves perspective on Traore. I am a Palace supporter and some of our supporters have been going on for about 3 years now we should have signed him and we missed out.

I’ve never been 100% convinced. I mean he is a decent player don’t get me wrong, but he’s not the amazing superstar some make him out to be. I can see since he has been in England why Barcelona were quite happy to let him go, he would never have fit in there and their style and philosophy.

1 Like

For Palace, Traore should have been a no-brainer of a signing, especially as they were signing Bakary Sako (ex-Wolves) at the same time who is a similar mould but had injury problems and lost his speed. OK, there was the transfer fee to boot, compared to Sako for free, but 18 million isn’t too bad when the PL income is considered and when you can get a young player with potential under contract for 5 years.

Having said that, Traore was extremely ineffective last season and it seems to have taken a lot of coaching on Nuno’s part to get him up to this season’s level and even that has plenty of deficiencies as I outlined. Personally, I don’t see Hodgson being capable of that level of player development.

1 Like

@the-wolf

Good and fair assessment of the game. Thanks for your best wishes against Man.U.
I think Man. U will be easier than Wolves, just a feeling.

Do you remember Derek Dougan?

Dougan is a bit before my time (fan since late 80s) but his record of the most European goals for the club remains intact despite Jimenez and Jota’s goals this season.

He is still largely a fondly remembered legend for fans of the earlier Wolves sides, but his reputation does have the blot of him brokering the deal when chairman of the club with some rather shady investors who pretty much asset-stripped us and which directly led to the fall through the divisions.

1 Like

2_Sevilla-Man

British press off on one because we have put this out which shows United wearing next seasons Away kit in the Semi Final.

At least we are in White, Bono in the Sky Blue (Naughty? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) again.

1 Like

Total humiliation of Barca against Bayern in CL - 8:2 … wow!

2 Likes

Barca are a broken team like! Messi looks fed up. I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes.

Honestly this Barca side without messi and Suarez is nothing special. I really think if we can kick on there is no reason we can’t close the gap with Barca and Real. Neither of them are great.

This is the worst Barca looked in years. No leadership, no fight, abysmal defending and awful in possession. Only a bit of brilliance from messi and Suarez got them consolation goals.

Bayern play football on another planet though. They are a joy to watch in attack. I can’t look past them now. I think likes of Man City, PSG or even Leipzip will put up a better fight but Bayern big favourites for sure. I hope we get Bayern V City semi.

2 Likes

1 Like

Hard to predict who will win it, but Bayern are favorites atm. PSG and Lyon have the freshest legs but I somehow cannot imagine Lyon winning it - then come the German teams and lastly Man City, who are the most tired of all.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see who will lift the trophy at the end and consequently who will we face in the 2020 UEFA Super Cup :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Now Sevilla has to show the rest of Spain how to win in Europe!

4 Likes

Yes, super Sevilla flying the flag for the Spanish sides again!

3 Likes

I want to pay to watch Barca lose like this a couple times a year, can we organize something

6 Likes

I’d pay the same if not more to see Real lose like that. Barca are in a royal mess with the main culprit Bartomeu unwilling to step down, Messi’s final years could be very dark indeed.

https://reddevilarmada.com/2020/08/13/manchester-united-sevilla-final/

A Man Utd fans perspective, biased for sure with incorrect observations on Sevilla such as stating the team does not practice defensive formations but it does raise legit points on Man Utd, Pogba and Bruno are excellent mid to long range passers, and unlike Adama Traore who fizzed out after half time their front three of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood can run for the full 90 and extra time if needed. Sevilla would need to sit deep or throw a ton of offside traps at that front three.

3 Likes

It will definitely be a different game than the one vs. Wolves.

Man Utd are dangerous and they can punish you any time. Even though they had an arguably better side when we beat them in CL 2 years ago, their current team is also very decent.

3 Likes

Our midfield can close down Bruno and Pogba. Our defence is more than capable of keeping their forwards in check.

The one worry is will our Striker take advantage of how shit their back line is? A lot of pressure again on Ocampos and I’m guessing Suso to make things happen. I’d be tempted to go with Munir instead of Suso for this one as he offers more of a goal threat and we need to take our chances when they come. That being said I would start de Jong as I would find it amusing to watch him bully Maguire for 60-70 minutes. :grin:

My starting XI would be:

King Bono

Jesus Navas
Koundé
Diego Carlos
Reguilon

Jordan
Fernando
Ever Banega

Ocampos
De Jong
Munir

3 Likes

After their penultimate game of the league season, Messi took the post match interview and said ‘We are shot, there’s no way we’ll beat Bayern unless we recover energy’.

No wonder the bookies had Barca at 4-1, Bayern at 2-1.

So Pique takes the post match commentary because he loves it when he can stick the knife into someone and promptly says ‘I can’t blame the manager, or the players, it’s something else, I can’t say’. He’s pushing the blame onto the board of directors of which it’s no secret have been in warfare for months.

Apart from the politics Barca have been lacking in defence for years, it’s the midfield that saves them but they ran out of steam this season and kerboom, got found out.

3 Likes

The United fans are out early on social media. They seem to think this is going to be a walk over. :rofl: