2019-2020 Non La Liga Discussions

Rubiales being behind this is unsurprising. What good has he done since taking over?

For Moreno, who knows how well he would’ve done, but i think his rep stays intact and could get a high level job à la Lopetegui. Maybe not Real Madrid, but perhaps Valencia.

Mauricio Pochettino sacked as Tottenham boss. Mourinho in the running to take over.

Four successive seasons in the Champions League, including a final counts for nothing after they fail to beat the mighty Blades in their last league game :innocent::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Luis Enrique’s demand to Spanish FA: I won’t work with Robert Moreno

The one request made by Luis Enrique to the Spanish FA when returning as Spain boss was not to work with Robert Moreno.

The report states that Enrique said there was no chance he would work again with Moreno - his long-term number two - due to a high-profile fallout between the two: ‘the chances are zero.’

It is claimed by the media outlet that there are several reasons for such a fallout, but primarily because Enrique believes Moreno did not contact him during his tough personal circumstances this year.

Enrique stepped down from the role of Spain boss earlier this year to look after his terminally ill daughter, who tragically then passed away - with Moreno replacing him in the hotseat.

Moreno guided Spain to the European Championships next summer with an unbeaten record - seven wins from nine games - but has now been relieved of his duties by the Spanish FA.

The fresh report claims Moreno did not visit Enrique either at his home in Barcelona or at the hospital during his daughter’s illness.

Moreno – previous number two at Roma, Celta Vigo and Barcelona – is said to be very well-liked within La Roja’s squad but has repeatedly said he would step down should Enrique feel he could return to the role.

Enrique was appointed national team boss following Spain’s exit from the 2018 World Cup in the last 16.

He was in charge for the Nations League, where Spain failed to reach the semi-finals, and remained in place for the beginning of their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign.

However, he temporarily stopped taking charge of matches from March this year before officially stepping down three months later.

Damn, never knew there was beef like that. Would’ve thought Moreno had no problem if Enrique got his job back. This made it sound like Moreno was being opportunistic. :slightly_frowning_face:

Nicely taken goal by Sarabia at the Bernabéu. Might become a secret weapon for PSG playing with all those A-listers.

Haven’t seen Madrid play so well in a while, but then they gave it all away in the space of 5 minutes. Please do the same at Alavés. :pray:t4:

1 Like

Luis Alberto having another stellar season, after a subdued one last campaign. Recorded 2 assists in tonight’s win vs Juve, which brings him to 11 assists in 15 league matches. :flushed:

Top scorer Ben Yedder putting Monaco ahead 2-1 away to PSG. Man i miss this guy…

Edit: very entertaining game, attacking-wise. 3-2 at the half. Neymar & Mbappe are too dangerous on the ball. But PSG’s midfield is doing nothing for their defence.

Can’t stand it when PSG are on tv now. It is a shame for French football actually as it can be quite a good watch but now it seems to be PSG, aaaaaaand then the rest of the League. No real title challenge and that is sad as there are some huge clubs there including my personal favourite French club, Marseille

Sarabia entering the fray. Both WBY & Pablo on the pitch now. :grin:

… while i actually feel like :disappointed:

PSG 3-3 Monaco FT. Thriller. But not much focus on defensive work. Funny enough they play each other again midweek. Good stuff from new coach Moreno.

But you’re right, they have to show PSG cause the stars are there. But over here we get to see 2-3 games a week, and it’s usually your boys from Marseille cause they’re the other big team. Having a decent season too.

Whenever I have seen Marseille this season they have been absolutely shocking (especially the game PSG hammered them), I actually cannot believe they are Second!

I only look out for them as Chris Waddle played out there when I was a kid, and I went to Marseille when we went on a holiday to the South of France. In fact Marseille was almost my first ever football match as my Dad and Uncle wanted to take my cousins and I to watch a match whilst we were there, but my Mum and Aunt didn’t want to be left alone shopping for hours so they scraped the plan to take us.

I still hate Waddle :cry: :cry:

Dabbur with a brace today against Bayern. Ugg

1 Like

If it’s of any consolation to anyone, the Milan derby was sensational. Incredible match of football.

Nasri gave a tremendous interview (in French) with journalist Walid Acherchour. But of course, the Spanish press only wants to sensationalize the bit that has nothing to do with the game.

It was a very revealing interview by Samir. He actually spoke greatly about his experience in Seville. About Sampaoli being like a close friend, while Lillo was more of a father figure.

He lauded the fact he was part of a strong team that went toe-to-toe with Real & Barça in the standings. Also gave a high esteem about the RSP, the atmosphere, and the never-say-die attitude around the club.

He also admitted that his season ended, not with “that Vardy headbutt”, but with that treatment in LA in January. He said he was sanctioned by UEFA only due to speculation. It’s a complicated issue that i won’t delve into, but so much was going on behind the scenes with lawyers, that he lost the will to play, as he knew a 2-yr suspension was looming. He said this to Sampaoli, but Jorge urged him to keep at it. Nasri really tried, but explained that everything needs to be right with a footballer in order for him/her to play well, from the physical & emotional well-being, to private life, etc.

It’s all unfortunate how that season concluded, cause Monchi nearly gifted us something remarkable. But it all ended with him leaving, Sampaoli wrestling with his dream, and the drop from the title race & now habitual 2nd half collapse.

Those great matches will live long in the memory so i thank them for that.

1 Like

It was remarkable how his form dropped off, and this explains it. I was dubious about us signing him at first, but he done a great job in that team. But then obviously it fell apart when he knew he was likely to be suspended.

Bundesliga back from next weekend gentlemen. At least something football to discuss.

1 Like

So, are we all Bundesliga fans now? :sweat_smile:

I won’t lie, it’s the league i watch the least out of the big 5, but there are some interesting players all round. One of the main things i like about the German league is the attendance. It’s unfortunate this Dortmund-Schalke match will have no spectators.

3 Likes

Well I am a Bundesliga fan anyway. Although rather bloody annoyingly my team Bayer Leverkusen are playing Monday evening, and I am on Late turn Monday. :unamused:

A few pictures from when I went to the BayArena a couple of years ago. Amazing stadium, the facilities there are unreal, it puts a lot of Premier League Stadiums to shame to be honest.

2 Likes