Sevilla - Espanyol Match Comments

Long time listener, first time forum user, haha. Thanks Chris et al for all the serious sevillismo around these parts. Having small kids doesn’t help much with the ability to be an active Monchi’s Man(?).

1-1 result at half seems reasonable. So pumped to hear Navas, Nolito, AND Muriel all contributing. Not sure I want them contributing today over mid-week, but this match is important in its own way.

1 Like

Feeling sorry for Soria, hope he recovers quickly, that was a good save to prevent doing down 0-1 after Borja’s mess-up.

As for the match, 404-Error Midfield Not Found!

We need the freaking midfield ffs! Wishing we’d had Mudo right now… there is no proper replacement of Banega and only Mudo could at least be a half-decent replacement. Borja not even close, the guy should only play in CDR. As for Ganso, we’d better off selling him now than regretting it during the season. Marcos Llorente for Ganso any given time!

Also, Sarabia sucks at defending, very very unnatural playing at LB.

Let this be as an excuse for panicking of the CL tie and having to qualify at all cost (big money at stake), but we definitely do not have the luxury to rotate like this, we could lose many many points if done frequently, not enough squad depth (quality-wise).

Considering it is 113 degrees F in Sevilla, I totally understand the rotation with the important match on Tuesday. We have to go through to the groups to make our goals, so I’m fully behind the coaches move knowing the extreme heat.

hmmm havent been able to watch but doesn’t seem like things have cut our way. banega now with a red? what happened? a few minutes left… hoping we pull something off.

Lots of possession by Sevilla. Dominated second half. lots of shots on goal. Banega fouled got yellow, said something to the ref and got a straight red.

Muriel with three shots that could have found the back of the net, One found post.

Well done Berizzo for fielding incompetent players in this match, which we should’ve comfortably won and control.

Also well done to the 25-ish million striker who can’t score to save his life… 4 100% chances, I mean come on, it’s a joke right?

This team urgently needs a LB and Jojo or a striker that can score or we’re down the gutter.

Also next time MKD would be a way better solution than either Borja or Ganso in the midfield… and can’t wait for Mudo to be ready to play.

Utterly disappointed.

Ganso improved in the second, so I’ll give him that.

I keep forgetting that Banega loves red cards as much as he likes dictating play. The overall game was frustrating.

Muriel kept beating himself up over those missed chances. But that happens. Keep up with the next play. The goals will come.

I think this was the best XI Berizzo could pick if everyone was to be rested. MKD never made the squad, so that left us with Ganso & Lasso. Lasso tried hard, but that was some Segunda quality stuff out there.

Onto the important match on Tuesday, where they’ll hopefully give the fans a better show.

Bad result overall but at least we never lost. However, it’s a shame that we never started the season with a win and it’s obvious we lacking in a few areas.

Still early days though and still have confidence this squad will come good and we will be in top 4 again.

My thoughts

Well a few things about tonight soon became obvious,Borja Lasso is nowhere near ready for the first team and N’Zonzi is simply not interested in playing for Sevilla anymore and any offer for him should be accepted We also saw that. Sarabia is not a left back.

The highlights were Navas who played like he’d never been away and Muuriel who with a bit of luck could have had a hat-trick, keep plugging away son the goals will come.

That was a pig of a game, didn’t expect much because Tuesday is the big game, but I left the stadium with a mixture of disappointment and satisfaction. My main complaint was that Berizzo fielded too weak a side and that with a little more talent on the field we could have wrapped up the game. Also felt that Borja Lasso and Ganso had let the side down, and also Banega who has been losing his temper too often in the last few games.

But after watching the game again last night, we did more than enough. Scored one and created 4 solid chances in the first half, created two solid occasions in the second half. It could easily have been 4-1 so I have to exculpa the manager. Also, losing David Soria in the first 2 minutes reduced the manager’s options for changes.

I also have to ex culpa Ganso too, he didn’t get into the game enough in the first half but that wasn’t his position, he made the most sublime pass of the game in minute 45 of the first half. He lost possession twice with bad passes in the second half, but made some good recovery and moved the ball around as much as anyone in the second half. Have to concede that a player trying to play killer passes threaded through a bunch of players is always going to make mistakes, but the accomplished passes can change a game. Maybe there’s no place for him in this team, he needs the freedom to operate around the edge of the box.

Muriel lost most possession, Borja Lasso a little less along with Nolito. Midfielders cannot lose possession if a midfielder doesn’t have a 50% connection rate it’s equivalent to playing for the other team. Forwards are likely to lose possession because they’re chasing slim opportunities.

Muriel has no connective play with his colleagues, that’s a problem.

Nzonzi played well apart from the error, watching the game a second time, without the anxiety is very informative. Good decision to rest him on 73 minutes. I still think the ref should have had the intercepted free kick re-taken and yellow carded Baptistao for not retreating and trying to block from an illegal position (too close).

Best news was the major improvement in Navas now he’s regained his match fitness, also forming a great understanding with Corchia.

2 Likes