Opinions on Lopetegui's Sevilla

Let’s be honest here… As hard as it is to watch Lope ain’t going whilst we aren’t losing games. The one thing he tends to do well is not lose.

7 Likes

So this article has some statements by Castro from a Mexican interview. He says that the goal for Sevilla is to finish at least fourth for the next 5-6 years. That’s our goal. He says once that goal has been achieved, Sevilla can push for bigger and better things.

3 Likes

Yes true, there is precedent for us getting top 4 before Lope. I just feel that he’s taken us on another level I’ve not seen from a Sevilla team in a while. Never before have we truly dreamed of the title other than the Juande Ramos season and a for about half the season under Sampaoli.

No coincidence that Monchi’s return has coincided with better results also. The man has an eye for a good player. Bit of an understatement.

3 Likes

5-6 years seems a bit extreme to me. 2 or 3 I can understand but why 6? In that time teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona will have had time to regroup and resource themselves with ill gained goods and our chances of winning La Liga will drop again.

3 Likes

I think what they mean is the target is 4th but of course if we have a chance to be higher than we try take the opportunity. The way Barca and Atleti are looking so far means a chance of 2nd or 3rd is possible but the main objective is 4th place which is fair.

4 Likes

Yeah of course, that’s the minimum goal for every year, but like @SurreySevilla said, 5-6 years seems a bit ridiculous and probably not realistic. When has the fourth best team in Spain made the champions league 5-6 years in a row?

2 Likes

Yeah you make a very good point. We do have to aim higher but we just got to be patient. I believe in the project we got.

2 Likes

You heard it here first, don’t say I didn’t tell you. We are gradually, but safely, becoming the Arsenal of La Liga. This seems to be the plan… oh well!

2 Likes

Well to be fair you probably correct. Still this seems to be the plan of Monchi and Castro. It’s not lopetegui fault but this news probably makes his position even safer. As he doesn’t have the pressure to win the league or come second. Unless things go drastically wrong I’d expect him to be our manager for many years to come.

3 Likes

And once again this conversation shall be rekindled…

3 Likes

Even though they’ll definitely keep him for the rest of the season, I can’t help but think the following, over and over again:

1. How would we fare with another decent coach that is a bit more attacking minded or at least knows how to counter and doesn’t play extremely boring football?

2. Going to the next summer with this kind of football and with Lope at helm sounds barbarically long and sad.

2 Likes

Well that’s gonna be an expensive one. Yikes, he has a contract till June 2024… 3 more years bro…

2 Likes

:scream:

2 Likes

Really tough to be patient at times like these. But let’s not become the next Palermo and contain ourselves for the rest of the year.

2 Likes

I agree. I think we need to see how this season goes before making any decisions. We are frustrated and disappointed in lope and team but it’s not fair to be thinking of sacking a coach at this stage.

Let’s get behind the players and manager even in tough times but it’s clear we need to see improvement especially in lope’s tactics.

2 Likes

Same thing with the interviews after last weeks game remember? Only Fernando is the one critical and disappointed, while he is playing his heart out. Where the rest Lope, Rakitic and Ocampos are all satisfied and content. Where they should be the ones self critical, and Fernando the one content with his play. Whole thing is scuffed.

This week, nothing different.

3 Likes

Sacking Lopetegui this early in the season would do us more harm than good. Like Mark said, we need to support Lope and the team and give them chances, because we have had a decent (although not perfect) start to the season.

3 Likes

Not sure that is fair on Palermo, more Maurizio Zamparini who loved to change managers every 5 games. :rofl:

1 Like

Youre right haha. Public opinions can maybe hype Castro up and see if we can change that :laughing:

2 Likes

So I went off a bit and trying to look into the future and see you guys thoughts, by sketching a hypothetical scenario.

So from mid november till december we have the following sequence of games. So far the the results have been good (17 out of 24) as everyone is saying. Totally leaving out of the equation the way we play. Let’s neglect that for this scenario, and let’s also leave apart any of the results we will get up until this sequence:
schedule sevilla

But for this case we don’t make it out of this group. And out of the other games in the sequence we get two draws.

If this comes true, what is you sentiment towards Lope? and what is the minimal you expect out of these games to change that sentiment if wanted.

4 Likes