M15: Sevilla v Leganés [2019-20]

How was that not a Penalty tho… did i miss something

1 Like

Yeh Koundé showing some great attacking prowess. Didn´t expect that when we signed him but it´s shining through more and more lately.

1 Like

Absolutely shocking tackle on Mudo only yields a yellow. And he gives one right back. Not a good showing by the ref

2 Likes

Messy ending, messy game. Another 3 pointer, but we can´t keep getting away with this kinda stuff all the time. It´s gonna go wrong very very soon. However, cementing our 3rd spot a bit better, after Real and Barçca catch up on their games. Table wise, happy times :smiley:

1 Like

A pretty boring match especially at home.
Not that i didn’t expect from Lopy though.
But at least it’s a win!

1 Like

We really need at least one pacy winger. Mudo and Nolito are the two slowest attackers in the squad.

3 Likes

If we play like this, we don’t stand a chance at Osasuna next week. Bryan should have been replacing Nolito in the squad long ago. And how does Munir still not get minutes?

Well, Lope got the win. Hopefully this all makes sense a few months from now.

3 Likes

I swear to god sevilla fc will give me a heart attack one day! Haha. Never have I aged more watching a match. That was ugly to watch but we won it and that’s what matters overall. However, Lopetegui went over the top on being ultra defensive today. In the end we had banega and mudo up front. Jeez like what the hell?

I don’t think javier Hernandez or Munir will have been very happy. However, I always thought this match was a banana skin, as they did well against us last season and they have an experienced new manager just taken over. Therefore, it’s a big win and we up to 2nd and on 30 points which is sensational effort.

I agree with you guys though, we have to improve next week at osasuna or our luck will run out. Hopefully we have fernando back soon and we did miss Ocampos a bit. I thought Bryan did well again when he came on. That was a good move. We can breathe in and move on, exciting to be near the top and with the big boys but we can’t keep relying on 1-0 wins. We need to show more going forward and Lopetegui needs to use his attacking options more. However, I can’t be too critical as so far the season is going amazingly well. Vamos!

3 Likes

Phew… lots of things going through my mind.

It was an important win, however Leganes probably deserved more in the second half due to our sudden lethargy at times.

De Jong and Nolito are very clumsy, however, I’d give De Jong a pass for trying a lot, but Nolito should never be a starter in my opinion… simply too wasteful to be a starter in this team with decent players.

I can’t remember the last time a manager of ours did something what Lope did, winning 1-0 against the last team in the league table and strengthening the defense by subbing the only striker (De Jong) for a CB (Sergi Gomez). It’s a bit Mourinho-style which I don’t like, but if it works (since we’ve been used to concede in the ending stage of the game), then heck… why not?

The players ran a lot and fought, but what I’m sometimes glad about these kind of wins is that a team with a winning mentality doesn’t always have to be ultimately-superior or be at their best in order to win. We should sometimes play badly and win, or have yin-yang halves and win… 3 points is what counts at the end of the day. I’m not someone who is results-focused only, as many of us Sevillistas didn’t fall in love with the team by grinding out results, but by playing in an exotic and spectacular way… however, the time has come where we need to turn into an Atletico kind of team, if we want to stay at the top and become a serious club once and for all. We’re obviously still quite far from that, but one step at a time, hopefully without stepping backwards.

VAMOS MI SEVILLA!!! VAMOS CAMPEON!!!

2 Likes

It’s not a good signal for those that considered Sevilla a trampoline to bigger clubs, only because Sevilla almost always played in an exotic fashion and were attacking-minded, which allowed players of all kinds to express themselves freely. I don’t mind us turning into a more solid side by defending better and playing tactically (also more robust like in the Emery days) as long as we keep winning and dominating teams.

However, as you and Edinho were saying, we shouldn’t rely on our luck too much and the 1-0 leads are always risky, hence we should go for more goals or at least make better use of our chances.

1 Like

I agree with Shend. While I’m as frustrated at times as the rest of us at us not scoring enough or creating more chances, on other hand I’m enjoying this new resilience that Lopetegui and his the new team has brought. A sevilla off last few seasons would not have won that match, probably would have lost 1-2 or even 1-3.

I feel we are the new Atletico in terms of results at moment. We have a lot work to do to consolidate this view to the football world though. However, I do think we have a lot of good attacking players who aren’t getting a chance to make us more attractive and bolster our attack. I think it’s a shame but I understand Lopetegui thinking. He’s on to a winning formula so if it ain’t broke then sometimes don’t fix it.

We in a great position but we have to be careful going forward. Lopetegui I think needs to try make us a lot more adventurous going forward but also not alter our system of being tough to beat and score against. He has to make tweaks to the system but not to much to get a way from this winning identity.

If one coach can pull it off playing like this it’s Lopetegui. However, us fans do want more going forward and try to put teams away to make matches a bit more comfortable. Vamos Sevilla!

1 Like

Man from what I got to see, it sure was ugly; but a win is a win and we are currently in 2nd and if Barca win, we could be solidly in third.

2 Likes

From what I saw of Osasuna today, good thing that Roncaglia won’t play (their undisputed CB), but they’re going to give us a very tough match next week at their turf. It’s going to be even more complicated than the away match vs. Granada, so we better be prepared well for it.

4 Likes

Barca winning is good for us in cementing our top 3 place! A nice 5 point gap over Atletico and 4 over la real and Bilbao!

Messi the saviour for Barca as usual!

1 Like