Have You Ever Been to Sevilla or Spain?

Sevilla will probably be a very special visit - I’ve been all around Europe but never in that part of Spain. In Spain I visited Barcelona for about 4 days in 2012 and it was quite nice. Funny thing though, I couldn’t find a Sevilla kit in the second-hand kit shops in the city. They even had Bilbao kits, but not Sevilla’s… what a shame.

3 Likes

My grandparents used to live in Seville, so I have visited the city with my parents 3 or 4 times as a young kid. A kid can’t beg for tickets to a soccer game where the parents have no interest in. So I never have visited the Ramon Sánchez Pizjuán.

In 2019 I planned a solo trip, flying to Lisbon ,stay for a few days, get a bus to Seville, stay at my grandparents place, go to a Sevilla home game, fly home from SVQ. But as you’ve guessed, COVID.
In the meantime my grandparents dicided to move to the Netherlands to be closer to their only child and have better healthcare in what will be their final days. Also, I’ve become a poor student, so a visit to the Ramon Sanches Pizjuán seems very unlikely in the near future.

But that might be a good thing for Sevilla. Because I’ve been to two Sevilla games: Levante vs Sevilla 2018 (2-1) and Feyenoord vs Sevilla 2014 (2-0). So yeah, as you can see, we lost both games I attended. I guess I am bad luck.

3 Likes

Just got back from Sevilla this weekend, it’s been a blast living there for almost 3 months. Went to the games against Zagreb and West Ham and absolutely loved the atmosphere. Played the hymn on youtube for days after the first game. Was hoping for a better run from the team to make the final but sadly that hope was lost. Wasn’t that impressed with the concrete/green square across town :wink:

12 Likes

Hey! Welcome to our happy little corner of the internet!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Another one from the Netherlands, what drew you to Sevilla?

2 Likes

Circumstances, in a way it was decided for me to go to Sevilla. But of course I had heard of the team before and seen them play on TV.

3 Likes

Just stumbled across my ticket to the last Sevilla game I attended. It’s been way too long!

1 Like

3 Nov 2015 Sevilla - Man City 0-3
8 Nov 2015 Sevilla - Real Madrid 2-1

Only 2 games, the atmosphere in the home win vs Real Madrid is really insane, unforgettable. Especially after a home defect vs Man City few days ago.

1 Like

We bought a house in Alhama de Granada, down in Southern Andaluca in 2016, and began to spend about half our time in Spain from then. As a football fan, I wanted to get to as many Spanish games as I could and, after visiting both Malaga (who were in la Liga at the time) and Granada (the same), i was disappointed with the atmosphere in both stadium. So I went up to Sevilla with my son to take in a game and suddenly I was hooked. I turned to him during Himno de Sevilla and said “This is it, this is my team”. I ahve been able to have several freind from the UK come to games with me and everybody agrees, the RSP is a fabulous place to wtach football. I am just grateful we didn’t make the trip when :poop: were at home :grinning:.

I am now a Rojo member and get to 6/7 games a season at least. Alhama is about a 2.5 hr drive to games, but we normally stay over in a place we have found in Santa Cruz.

In the UK. I am a season ticket holder at St James’ Park, and as a Newcastle fan I worry about the day when the two clubs will meet. I also worry a little that one day they will make the red pinstripes more prominent and the kit will resemble Sunderland’s more, let’s hope not. Vamos Mi Sevilla!!!

5 Likes

That’s a great story Graham. What made you settle in Alharma de Granada? It looks really cool, but then again most of the small towns in that area are. It looks like a great location.

To be honest, it was by pure chance. We booked a vacation rental and fell in love with the village. It’s far enough from the coast to have few British visitors, its a “real”, working Spanish village and we love it. We bought an old house in the Barrio Arabe and have renovated it. The local community has been really welcoming of us (although bizarrly most support Real Madrid!). And it is now a well-trodden path from Alhama to Sevilla :-). Thanks Chris, for all you do on here.

3 Likes

At least you can read yours. Mine has just been in a bag with the programme I got and look at the state of it.

2 Likes

Yeah, the thermal printing on tickets and receipts fades with time.

2 Likes

Great story, Graham. Very different from my own story, but some small similarities. The Himno del Centenario didn’t exist when I started following Sevilla back in 2004, but boy have I listened to it countless times since.

As a student in 2004, I went to two matches in the RSP, a loss vs the Ronaldinho Barcelona and a win against Athletic Bilbao in a torrential downpour. In 2016 (i think?), I made it back for Monchi’s last home game before heading to Roma (a win against Deportivo la Coruña, i believe).

And yes, the ugly green box across town should likely be demolished, but maybe the authorities like to have a place to keep the beticos busy for a few hours a week, makes the city safer for the rest of us, hehehe.

Starting as a fan in 2004 means that I can credibly claim to have been a fan before they were winning hardware, but it also means I have been very fortunate to experience some incredible memories with this team that will last a lifetime. ¡El equipo de la casta y el coraje! #hastalamuerte

3 Likes

I wasn’t even born in 2004…

4 Likes

3 Likes

I was in Seville for holiday in 2018 and I went to the europa league match against Standard Liege. I really liked the city and the atmosphere around the stadium. After that I have been on three away matches: against Atletico Madrid, Dinamo Zagreb and West Ham. My plan is to go to Sevilla as soon as possible again this year, probably september, so we shall see.

5 Likes