Virtual Spain Travel

Haha - yeah I’ve had it both ways.

That’s me and my mother helping out some Brits that got stuck in the sand that blew across the road. It was holy hell windy that day.

1 Like

I’ve been to Tarifa, lovely little place. Bloody took a long time on the bus though. Was quite strange though, literally all of the shops were like Australian surf shops.

I seem to remember it being quite windy but not too bad. I had heard before we went though, it is well known for wind surfing etc.

2 Likes

Has anyone been to Ceuta? If so what is it like?

We wanted to go there for the day as there is a big water park there, but my sisters fella at the time thought it would be about €20 for the ferry and when we got to the port in Algeciras I think it was like €60 so we had to abandon that plan.

Looks like it would be a fun trip. We were going to go to Morocco on a trip back in 2011, but the airlines screwed us up and we lost a few days of travel and had to cut it.

1 Like

Melilla is of course another Spanish enclave on Morocco.

So many places in Spain I really want to go at some point in my life. Cadiz, Merida, Huelva, obviously want to go back to Seville again.

1 Like

Yes, Ceuta is nice enough and interesting but very small, OK for a day trip.
I once flew from Gibraltar to Tanger in a Viscount aircraft, the pilot had retired twice but they kept bringing him back because nobody else could fly the aircraft. It took 15 minutes and they served a meal on the flight. Those were the days when flying was a real pleasure, and the belly dancers in Tanger were the real thing.

I went back to Tanger and found the same shop that sold me a white leather jacket made from antelope skin, 30 years earlier. The difference in Tanger was amazing, nothing has changed architecturally but the Camels and Donkeys that delivered the goods were replaced by Mercedes and Vans parked above the Souk (Casbah).

I’ve been back many times since and toured the entire country including the deserts south of the Atlas mountains where there are no roads.

2 Likes

Wow cool. My Dad got the boat over to Morocco once when he went to stay at my sisters. He absolutely hated it to be honest, but each to their own eh? :slightly_smiling_face:

We went to Ceuta around 30 yrs ago on an organised day trip from Torremolinos.
Back then it was about a 12hr return journey, by the time we got there we just had time to grab some lunch before everything closed for the siesta. We then spent 3hrs sitting in a park before it was time to get the ferry back to Spain.
Not one of our best days out. :slightly_smiling_face:

We called in at Tarifa a couple of yrs ago at Easter on our way back from spending a few days at Zahara de los atunes and spent an hour driving around looking for a parking place before giving up and continuing on to Estepona

2 Likes

1 Like

One of the best parts about walking the cities especially in Andalucia is the fabulous courtyards and patios you will see in most of the buildings. A lot of the older buildings were designed with the courtyard concept to provide some natural air conditioning. Here is one on Calle Abades in the Santa Cruz section of Sevilla.

1 Like