Sevilla FC v Getafe - La Liga - Week 21

Originally published at: http://monchismen.com/sevilla-fc-v-getafe-la-liga-week-21/

A league match against Getafe at home in late January might not generate the same levels of fanfare and emotion as Tuesday night’s epic encounter against Atletico, but it is equally important in our quest to salvage our faltering league campaign.

Our recent resurgence of form under Montella has certainly gone a long way to brining back the feel good factor to Nervion, but even so, we are still in no position to become complacent today. Despite being in 11th place, Getafe are currently only 5 points behind us, so anything less than three points is unthinkable. As was the case last week away to Español, a defeat could see us dragged into the mire of mid table, but a win would help keep us looking upwards and not down.

Above us in the table, Real Madrid look to be gathering some momentum, scoring for fun. Catching them may be beyond us. The good news is Valencia are faltering slightly, however Villareal just can’t stop winning, 5 wins out of 5 (including a win at the Bernabeu) and are comfortably ahead of us in 5th place, 5 points ahead! It will take a lot of hard work and good form for us to catch any of the teams above us, and no better time to start than now!

Nico Pareja makes a welcome return to the squad, but I’d be surprised to see him in the starting XI. No Ganso again, who we may recall won us the points away to Getafe earlier in the season, and no sign of MKD either. Both of their careers’ with Sevilla look to be over, and with the transfer window about to close we should expect some movement early next week. I will be sad to see both of them go, but midfielders are not something we are in short supply of at the moment, especially now with the news of Roque Mesa having arrived in Sevilla. More news due to unfold over that move in the coming days one would suspect. An exciting signing if we can pull it off.

The starting XI is in, almost the same team as the past three, the most notable inclusion being Ben Yedder back as first choice centre forward;

Should we maintain the same level of commitment and energy that we did in the past few games, a win should be within reach . However, we will need to be on alert not to become complacent, and at the same time keep one eye on resting the legs for Wednesday night’s semi final away to Leganes.

I’m going for a score prediction of 2-1

¡VAMOS MI SEVILLA!

1 Like

Vamos Sevilla! A win today will see us back in contention for top 4 again and keeps our run going!

2 Likes

First thing to hope is that we’re concentrating and not thinking about midweek semifinals, or distracted by the imminent transfer activity. This Getafe is nothing to do with the yoyo club of recent years, they’re extremely solid, tough opponents.

No surprise that Navas plays again but highly surprised by the reappearance of Nico Pareja in the squad. Getafe have a nice fresh video of our new ‘less rotated’ team to study after last Tuesday’s game.

Regarding transfers I’m uneasy about Sandro and Batshit becuase they’re loans with high wage demands and no option to buy. They want to play to have a chance with their nation teams and so Spain is the obvious shop window for Sandro but not Batshit. Although Sandro is I think 22 or 23 he looks more like 30 but has a lot of future.

But letting WBY go and replacing with a loan signing would be absolute madness, he’s arguably our best player.

Roque Mesa is loan with option to buy, he’ll need to get back to the player he was two years ago. Look forward to seeing what he and Nzonzi look like together.

Our season so far is ‘checkered’, with highs and lows, 3 points and more consistency are what’s needed.

3 Likes

3 important points at stake tonight.

The formation looks solid, unchanged from the last match vs. Atletico except Muriel replaced with WBY.

I hope we finish business early and control the match. As Tim said, Getafe are no joke and I clearly remember that they used to put us on the ropes in the first match where we luckily won 0-1 with Ganso’s goal, but definitely didn’t deserve it.

VAMOS MI SEVILLA!!! VAMOS CAMPEON!!!

2 Likes

Sevilla look like they’re out for a stroll and thinking about the cup. They gradually built up their superiority through possession until it looked like Getafe might crack and then a series of questionable refereeing decisions took the wind out of our sails and Getafe got into the game.

3 arguably valid penalties disallowed by the ref.

Mudo Vazquez having a pig of a game, being generous I’d say he’s made two good passes in ten.

1 Like

Lacking that extra intensity needed to win this! Our minds clearly on that 1st leg semi at leganes. However, this is a key game and we need to win to stay in touch with the sides above us or we could get dragged into mid table.

Vamos Sevilla!

2 Likes

I hope we can somehow clinch the 3 points tonight. 1-0 would do!

1 Like

The only solution for mudo is Geis and move Banega forward but I don’t even know if geis is on the bench. Muriel and Parejo warming up.:open_mouth:

20m Muriel finally showed up.

Vamos! Great team goal!

How is that not a foul? What the fuck? That is always called.

Robbery

No foul, it needed punching out but Sergi Rico gave it a nothing. Sevilla 1 Sergio Rico 1

1 Like

Well, Rico again

1 Like

Criminal refereeing and lack of aggressiveness from Rico (the softest goalie I ever watched in this sport) cost us the very deserved 3 points.

Shame to RFEF for still not having VAR implemented and shame on Rico for being a fucking chicken. When you go for the ball, catch it, lift your foot up high and when a SOB like Cala (who acted as a SOB the entire match) approaches like that, they will get hospitalized and think about that decision of theirs twice before doing it again in the future.

Fucking disgraceful…

1 Like

Every keeper gets that call

1 Like

Was almost going to say in my 2-1 prediction that the 1 for Getafe would be an obligatory Sergio Rico gift.

Gutted we didn’t take all the points

That 26 year old ref doesn’t look real. A total machine!

If RFEF wouldn’t have been corrupted and weak, that ref would’ve been fined. You can’t act tough and try to instill authority by not giving 2-3 penalties and not making a call where 9 out of 10 of similar cases get called. Stupid egocentric referee, just like every other ref in La Liga.

Not sure what the punishments are but someone needs to get in the field and chase some of these referees down with a bat :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Heartbreaking that! We need to deliver in the cups as the league is drifting away from us! That was a painful way to concede, we deserved better. Still we couldn’t finish it off and they always had a chance at 1-0.

However, least we have a cup semi to look forward too! Vamos!

1 Like

Against Getafe we could have opened the game end to end, we would have created more chances and they would have scored less of their chances, so it was a stupid game plan in my opinion. I want to say a grand fuck you to the Biris who never got off their arses to lift the game.

1 Like