Sevilla FC Fire Eduardo Berizzo After a Disappointing Start

Our decision could well be influenced by the Milan - Inter game which is about to be played in a few hours. If Milan loses again Gattuso would get the boot and they will take Montella back as his contract has not yet been terminated, we will then go for Gracia. If Milan draw or win then Montella would still be available.

That seems a mess. haha

images

Montella is the chosen one but it canā€™t be made official until he gets agreement for the termination of his contract with Milan.
What a circus.

Not sure if the inclusion of Maresca had anything to do with thisā€¦ but Montella is an unproven coach that has never achieved anything of significance. He also plays a pathetic 3-5-2 and sometimes 4-3-3 with no identity in the gameplay, similar to Berizzo.

My hope, he will succeed by reaching the quarters or at least the 4th place in La Liga or at least win CDR.

My realistic prediction, he will fail to reach the quarters of CL, embarrassed by Man Utd, risk of even losing the 5th place and not reach further than CDR quarters (even Tevenet would eliminate Cadiz with this Sevilla team), and Montella will be sacked in the Summer or earlier.

This case is close to being similar or identical to Valenciaā€™s case with Prandelli.

1 Like

Yup, Montella looks set to take the reigns unless something goes delightfully wrong, apart from the fact that Enzo Maresca might be part of the coaching team.

Iā€™m longing to be proved wrong and will be happy if he succeeds.

Of all the Italian managers, Iā€™d have preferred Carlo Ancelottery or Claudio Ranieri with open arms.

Yeah Iā€™m not excited by the hire, but his record in Europe isnā€™t terrible so letā€™s hope for the best. Vamos Montella!

Looks like itā€™s gonna be Montella.

Meh.

1 Like

We absolutely destroyed his Fiorentina squad in the Europa League semis. Even at home they looked completely lost.

1 Like

Wow, didnā€™t realize that was his team. He had a ton of talent on that team as well.

1 Like

Ugh, possibly the worst of the 4 candidates, helped by Interā€™s ineptitude nonetheless. Weā€™ll probably get thrashed by Man Utd and struggle to even get 5th, the only good news is that we play all the big teams at home in the second half of the season, but Iā€™m not sure if Montella can even capitalize on that.

Not counting any friendlies they might arrange Montellaā€™s first game will be against Betis, lovely venue for a debut. I guess itā€™s time to really put in effort into my football manager save and try to get rid of Montoya and Mudo while getting Reyes back to the RSP.

Am i the only one optimistic about Montella coming in? I think itā€™s a chance for him to redeem himself cause I think he was dealt a poison chalice this season at Milan. Bonucci was never in the initial plans. The Milan board orchestrated that move. This forced Montellaā€™s hand cause Bonucci was exposed in a back-4, which prompted the switch to a 3-5-2 to accomodate him. Having to switch systems when your best player from last season in Suso excelled in a 4-3-3 is just gonna spell problems. This Milan team still doesnā€™t have the personnel to play that 3-5-2. Gattuso now has no choice but to play 4-3-3.

The good thing for us here is that Montella has a transfer window to work with. He needs to sort out our defence. Our midfield is also in rough shape cause the Banega & VĆ”zquez tandem isnā€™t working, as Pizarro canā€™t do all the dirty work himself. A box-to-box midfielder would help us a lot. Also, we gotta see improvement from at least one of Muriel, Mudo & Correa surely. The first two played under/with Montella & Maresca respectively. If not, someone has to at least benefit from the manager switch.

Look, i donā€™t think expect him to best managers like Marcelino, at least not yet. But you canā€™t tell me that Valenciaā€™s squad is waaay better than ours. Theyā€™ve just performed better without a European campaign. We arenā€™t far off from a Top 4 finish. What i do expect is for Montella to find his best XI, cause Berizzo still didnā€™t even manage to figure that out.

2 Likes

In football youā€™re only as good as your last performance so I donā€™t worry about his past jobs, just this new one. Iā€™m happy enough and prepared to give him a chance, I just wanted a native Spanish trainer who knew the league.

As for Valencia, to me theyā€™re a bunch of dirty cheats and Iā€™m hoping theyā€™ll drop off the radar in the new year.

1 Like

The thing that pisses me off most about Montella is that the guy is not serious, professionally.

Just look at his interviews, like the one where he says, asking: Why canā€™t Fiorentina beat Sevilla 5-0? When he was 3-0 down from the first leg against us in the semis of EL.

Then weeks before getting sacked by Milan, he was joking around saying: It wonā€™t be surprising if I get sacked today, or something similar to that. He simply doesnā€™t give a crap about the job and jokes around all the time.

A good thing is that he plays attacking football, but his 4-3-3 is similar to Berizzo, and it would take a great January transfer window to change things for the better. This team has shown that it is not ready for a 4-3-3 formation, simply clueless in that.

Maybe, just maybe we needed a coach that transitions defense to attack quickly, bringing back the deadly counters of the Emery era, and there were sayings that we could have that with Javi Gracia.

Now of course, this decision couldā€™ve been hugely impacted by Marescaā€™s inclusion in the deal as an assistant manager, but I really doubt Montella will add anything positive, and if not, we shouldnā€™t give him more time and sack him in June. Hopefully the contract is not too lucrative or long-term so that we have to stick to Montella even if he fails, just because of the money.

Sevillaā€™s management once again showed that they are not in for a serious project. Otherwise, they would have signed someone like Tuchel, and turn this team around to the exciting play, good counters and the glory days that they once had, lastly with Emery (missing the 2014-15 season a lot).

This could very well be just another Prandelli case. He resigned after 3 bad months, but I doubt Montella will do the same. He failed badly at Milan and waited to be sacked. These coaches are never good.

On the other hand though, I would loooove to be proven wrong on this!

1 Like

And agreed for the last paragraph. Valencia are by no means far better then us, rather slightly. Beside Guedes and Zaza, thereā€™s really not a lot of difference in the template otherwise. Moreover, I think that Banega is better than Parejo and Nā€™Zonzi is better than Kondogbia, so yeah.

1 Like

Kondogbia is great but ā€¦ heā€™s clumsy and accident prone with stray balls and lost posession, apart from that heā€™s got a great pass and endurance, a mixed bag, Emery wasnā€™t a fan.

It appears that Nzonzi trained with the first team late afternoon, but Iā€™d be surprised if itā€™s a clean slate matter.

1 Like

Montella has to do two things. Find a settled first XI, and reincorporate Nzonzi back into the squad. Thatā€™s the only way this team is going to improve this season. Thereā€™s no magical January transfer that will spark our season. The second half of the schedule should be easier with 0 difficult away fixtures so Montella wonā€™t have any built-in excuses.

1 Like

You donā€™t think there is an impact player coming in like last year with Jovetic and somewhat Lenglet?

Thereā€™s guys who can make a comparable impact to those two, but neither were season-changing acquisitions. Jojo delayed our slide to 4th for about a month, but Lenglet was just meh.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a single guy (even someone as good as Pastore) who can single-handedly provide us with a boost to jump up to 4th or beat Manchester United. Itā€™s going to have to come from the players we already have (including Nzonzi) somehow finding some cohesiveness.

1 Like