Segunda Division & Lower

Holy cow. What a fall for a team that was in champions league as recently as 7 years ago.

3 Likes

Well they sold their soul to some Arabian sheik as well. Those seem like a solution with all the promising money. Untill they got bored of it move on for a new interest and looking for a new hobby. Plenty of clubs going to the garbage.

5 Likes

A few Palace ex pats who live out there can’t believe the state of the club. The exact reason just like Valencia why I hope no foreign investors like that come sniffing around our club.

4 Likes

Didn’t Cardiff get completely took over, a while back and changing club colours and logos. Man can you imagine. What the actual …

2 Likes

Yes Cardiff got bought by Vincent Tan their current owner, a Malaysian chap who changed their kit to Red as apparently in Asia Red is a lucky colour.

He also changed the logo to a Dragon rather than the Bluebirds. I guess the good thing was that the bloke actually listened to the outrage and changed it all back the next season.

4 Likes

Now that’s some personal customization - reminds me of Fifa Manager times lol

2 Likes

Yeah the Cardiff cat seemed like a huge dick. My club here DC United got bought by Erick Thohir, a Malaysian businessman that also owned Inter. He got the stadium built and then sold quickly - i’m assuming for a profit.

1 Like

I know MLS is not top European leagues level, but is there any DC United player or MLS player in overall who could do decently for Sevilla? @ChrisLail

1 Like

I don’t follow enough to be an expert by any means. There are some I’m sure, but it’s such a hit or miss with MLS players playing in other leagues. If I had to guess who could slot in as a player (maybe not starter):
Ezequiel Barco - an exciting young (21) Argentinian
Alejandro Pozuelo - ex Betico
Valentin Castellanos - another young Argentinian
Diego Rossi - Uruguay - Maybe as a backup?
Carles Gil - possibly as a backup (former Deportivo player)

2 Likes

Been keeping an eye out on the Segunda as per, especially a few of the newly promoted clubs who have been Primera / Segunda division teams over the years I have been into Spanish football.

It is going to be a long old slog, and still about 30 odd games to go, but Castellon and Sabadell are struggling around the foot of the table right now. Castellon are from the same sort of area as Villarreal and are historically the big team in that area. Villarreal often tend to get paired with the likes of Valencia and Levante, but truly their main rival should be Castellon.

Sabadell were a La Liga team years and years ago, way before I can remember to be honest, and they dress a bit like Bristol Rovers here in England in the Blue and White Quarters. Not nearly enough Quartered kits in football for my liking.

The one I have kept the closest eye on though is UD Logroñés. Reason being is the first season I got into watching La Liga (Revista de La Liga on Sky Sports here), Logroñés were in the Primera Division and getting absolutely trounced every week. Admittedly it was a “different” club as such as there have been various teams under the Logroñés name down the years but due to bankruptcy etc they keep reforming, and finally a team has made it back to the second tier, and are doing OK after a rocky start, if they win their game in hand they could actually be in the promotion play off picture. Plus our very own Lope played for them once upon a time.

Malaga are up around the play offs surprisingly as they have had some horrible results already this season, and are still absolutely skint.

Looking at the Segunda B tables, it gets a little confusing as it is split into 10 mini tables due to Covid at the moment. From 2020/21 (I guess it will still happen?) they are restructuring the Leagues below Segunda, so as I understand it the Leagues will go…

Primera Division (La Liga)
Segunda Division (Liga 123)
RFEF Primera (Two Regional Divisions of 20 teams)
RFEF Segunda (Five Divisions of 20 teams)
Tercera Division

So at the moment in the current Segunda Division B you are either playing for the promotion play offs to Segunda (top 3), to be in the RFEF Primera (4th - 6th, which is kind of like a mini promotion), or 7th to 10th will put a team into the RFEF Segunda which is basically still the Segunda B, but a demoted Segunda B.

All a little complicated and I don’t know how it will work with teams getting promoted from Tercera etc at the end of this season, but if I have read that right it looks like no one will be relegated to the Tercera this season, just put intonthe restructured system. As it stands Sevilla Atlético would be in the RFEF Segunda, really if we want our prospects to grow we need that team to be in the RFEF Primera at least I would say, but what do I know eh?! :man_shrugging:t2:

A lot of change for next season which is probably a lot more complicated at the moment due to Covid-19. I am excited for the changes though as I think the new effectively Third Tier makes the League stronger and means stronger teams will play one another regularly, the Segunda B as it has been can be a bit of a mismatch.

I feel Italian football for example has got stronger since they ditched their system of having Serie C1 then Serie C2. Making a stronger Serie C and putting the weaker teams into Serie D has definitely made their third tier stronger in my opinion. Similar to how Germany added 3. Liga has made their system stronger, that extra professional tier between 2. Liga and Regionalliga has enabled their League and clubs to flourish and grow.

2 Likes

Good to see Logroñés still going along nicely in the Segunda this season, currently 7th and outside the play offs purely on Goals For at the moment.

Sabadell and Castellon not doing as well, but still picking up points at the moment. There are far bigger clubs who should be worried this season. Real Zaragoza in particular who should have been promoted last season, continuing their slide and looking like they could do a Deportivo de La Coruña if they keep going the way they are going. Currently third bottom.

Tenerife also just lurking outside the bottom 4, and their neighbours Las Palmas aren’t too far above the relegation places neither.

Malaga are getting by given their young squad, coming from 0-2 down and down to 10 men to get a 2-2 draw with Lugo last night. Sevilla loanee and around crap Goalkeeper Juan Soriano was dropped again, having conceded 8 goals in 5 games so far, with 0 clean sheets.

1 Like

Not posted on this thread in ages… Eibar top of Segunda, Almeria second.

Zaragoza seem to be eternal strugglers these days, got a feeling of inevitability that eventually they will go the same way as Deportivo and Racing.