Manchester United Away - Champions League Last 16 - 2nd Leg

Originally published at: http://monchismen.com/manchester-united-away-champions-league-last-16-2nd-leg/

Tonight Sevilla FC walk back out onto the famous Old Trafford turf for the first time since our 3-1 victory there when they played in Manchester United and England legend Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial match back in August 2013. So much has changed in the 4.5 years since, both teams almost unrecognisable from then both on and off the pitch.

For Sevilla the only surviving squad member of that day is Nico Pareja, who although made the trip to England is unlikely to feature. As has been discussed at length on our forums, due to injury and ineligibility we have a drastic lack of right full backs. Jesus Navas, who was perhaps our man of the match in the first leg is out, so Montella has a dilemma on his hands. If Mercado is used at right back then maybe Pareja will make the step up? Kjaer will likely be ahead of him if need be.

Manchester United although seemingly tame at times have proven that they are a different beast at Old Trafford, and easily dispatched of in-form and goal happy Liverpool at the weekend. They got their goals early and shut up shop, strangling the life out of the game in a way that only Jose Mourinho can. Not even fellow super villain Diego Simone can compete with him in this regard. So I suspect they will try the same formula tonight as they did against Liverpool, namely attack us with pace and hope to have a comfortable lead to hold on to.

This scenario would be unwelcome for us, as if we fall behind we don’t carry much of a threat going forward these days. Against Man Utd in the RSP we controlled the game, but apart from one massive save from de Gea we rarely threatened to score. This has been epitomized by the fact that our top scorer this season Ben Yedder actually has scored more goals in the Champions League (8) than he has in the league (6)!! For whatever reason Montella doesn’t seem to fancy him as his first choice, but unless Muriel starts putting away his chances Sevillistas will demand a change in that area.

Let’s be brutally honest, this season has been a very poor one for us, and despite some decent results Montella has yet to inspire confidence that he is the man to lead us to glory long term. All that would be forgotten about, at least for a while, if he could somehow pull off a performance and result like he did away to Atletico Madrid in the Cup. Tonight a score draw is all we need to take us into the quarter finals for the first time in our history. If we play to our best we can do it, and in the process Montella’s reputation will undoubtedly go up in our collective estimations.

¡VAMOS MI SEVILLA!

To get us in the mood here is a video of the last time we played at Old Trafford in that horrendous yellow kit

2 Likes

This is definitely the match of the season so far!

I’m not very optimistic, mainly because of Navas’ absence, adding to that the disbelief in Montella’s strategic capabilities. I just hope that if we won’t get through, we do it with full honor. That means the players should give 200% in the pitch and try to make history happen tonight.

The season undoubtedly been very poor as Jonathan mentioned, and no, the CDR final doesn’t make it any better. However, I think that at the point that we’re in and with the manager and the players we currently have, including the previous change of managers in the winter break, EL for next season, CDR final AND (a big AND) CL quarters would mark this season as at least passable.

The referee will be the same one from the first match vs. Liverpool in Anfield where we drew 2-2. Hopefully he won’t screw this up as it’s always easier to support Mourinho’s team and not have to deal with the pressure afterwards etc.

Considering the first match, we have more game than them, but I really hope that we don’t get eliminated in some of the silliest ways possible, similar to Leicester last season.

We know that playing CL football again will take a good season or two after this post-Monchi transition period, but let’s either make history or at least a farewell not to be forgotten quickly.

VAMOS MI SEVILLA!!! VAMOS CAMPEON!!!

1 Like

Vamos

2 Likes

So this is it then, the official lineup has Mercado at RB and Kjaer at CB. So we either go to extra time or get humiliated… I can’t help it haha. Hopefully these fellas will surprise us in a positive way!

1 Like

I hate these pregame shows. Sevilla doesn’t exist in their view.

1 Like

How about those Sevilla Fans! Totally sung over the anthem again. Brilliant

1 Like

Mourinho going with Matic and Fellaini in midfield… two stoppers

He means business

Playing silly so far. Not good.

Settled down looking better. Need better looks at goal.

we are having all the shots, but they are woefully off target

Shame Muriel still can’t shoot… or Vazquez. We are so good until we have a look in at goal… then terrible.

Why no yellow on that foul by Young? That’s a yellow everyday.

yeah if Banega got one so should Young

And Valencia

Damn it! So close!

and Fellani

Mudo walking around like he’s owed something. Fight your ass off! You’ve turned it over 5 times, work to make up for that.

1 Like

OK so far after 34 mins, I’ll not say more, not wishing to jinx this.

Rico!

Seems the ref has a little bit of some red fever.