M35: Athletic vs. Sevilla [2019-20]

So close to a massive 3 points. Vamos!!

1 Like

Banega’s final gift, shooting us to CL football.

4 Likes

Yesss!! Loved lopetegui reaction! Remember he doesn’t smile, instead he roars like a lion!!

2 Likes

Super happy right now ^^

3 Likes

The team had a different attitude about them today. Many times before we simply ended up getting a draw, but we came back and got 3 points. Big boy W.

Turning point? Better late than never. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Same here! What a way to comeback and win! Sickener for Villarreal that. Plus it’s so satisfying to see us win at a tough team whose ground we not won at in ages! A very sweet win and Banega is a legend! It’s a shame he’s going! All Sevilla fans will miss him immensely.

2 Likes

Great result. I had a feeling the game would end 2-1 but wasn’t sure which way it might swing.

Win against Mallorca and we are virtually there now in terms of the Champions League. Would love to jump Atléti into Third though, that would make a statement.

Funny old game football, for most of this season we have played some absolute dreadgeball, and then two pieces of beauty from Banega gets us a fine result. I still stand by my thoughts though that he was pretty crap first half.

Did Gudelj touch the ball? I don’t remember seeing him on the ball once. And Suso, really not convinced by him at all. Noticable that we seemed to have more of a presence up top after LDJ came on for YEN.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Judging from the dull first half, who would’ve thought we’re winning this one tonight?

Banega and Munir were a fatal tandem for Bilbao. However, we should get used to playing without Banega in the next 3 matches, at least without him as a starter (because of the match vs. Roma).

This was Banega’s farewell surprise I guess, thanks EVER! It’s a great feeling to win in San Mames after 11 years (since 2009) in La Liga.

I really can’t see (even in the craziest dreams) Villarreal beating RM, so I think 1 point out of the next 3 matches would do. Winning vs. Mallorca should do the job.

VAMOS MI SEVILLA!!! VAMOS CAMPEON!!!

4 Likes

Is he not in for the Europa?

2 Likes

No :confused:

Well that sucks!

1 Like

Great performance by Banega he bossed the game from start to finish.
Don’t worry Al Shabab have agreed to him staying until August.

“Sevilla announced this Thursday that Argentine midfielder Éver Banega, whose contract with the Sevilla organization expired last Tuesday and who has already signed with the Saudi Al Shabab, will continue in Sevilla discipline until August, when their official commitments for the 2019/20 season end”

6 Likes

Perfect!

1 Like

I had us down for a draw for this one, so to get the win was great stuff. Realistically, two draws from our remaining games should be enough for CL football. I think we win at least one of our remaining 3.

2 Likes

Exactly Mark, Banega is a legend. A pleasure to have had him in our squad for what is it about 5 years. A player with maybe not the best lable, lifestyle and everything around it considering pure football. But so glad, we picked him up after it didn´t work too great for him at the other clubs. It will be a big loss, A player that you could try to reach in the most difficult situations and somehow he could turn and twist his way and maintain possesion like only few players can like Xavi, that plus his creativity, long passing and football inteligence has been a incredible to have in our team. As Chris also said, finding his replacement will be a heck of a job. Simply because there is only one Ever. Not sure where this is going, i´m just glad he´s been in our team for so long and has all the right of the world to get his well earned pension in Saudi Arabia. Bless you Banega :raised_hands:

2 Likes

His game was a bit of a mixed bag. The funk from the last match followed him a bit with some of his wayward passing. He did drop 2 Athletic players though… :laughing: But he stepped up when the team needed something, and what a time to do it. Replacing him will be a tough job for whoever comes in, but we have Monchi pulling the strings on this one so i’m sure we’ll be fine. :grin:

I was also impressed by Jordán’s game. He hardly put a foot wrong, and only got hooked cause Lope wanted to change the setup and have Suso play thru the middle. He seemed to have found his role and made a lot of runs into the box. Did a nice backheel layoff for Ocampos in the 1st half, but that shot went into row Z. Also in the 2nd half, he got free on the right channel and delivered a perfect cross to Lucas, who forced a good save out of Simón. I was starting to doubt whether Joan truly fit in this 4-3-3, but that’s given me some hope. He still does a good job defensively so he’ll always be a plus if we play a double-pivot.

4 Likes

I’m with you, I wanted Banega off the field in the first half, pathetic, but when he stepped up for the free-kick I said, “he’ll score here, this is exactly his distance”, and then he gave the assist to Munir. But remember that Munir got the free-kick for Banega and scored the second goal and changed the game within minutes of coming on, so who was the hero?

Speaking of distance, Banega’s free kicks 50-60 yards from the box don’t arrive in the penalty box, they fall short, consistently, not working.

Regarding Jordan, he is indeed markedly more influencial and improved in recent games. The thing he did in the previous game where Suso should have scored was top, absolutely beyond his paygrade, total class.

Since the restart of the season (the derby J28) our results have been …
WDDDDWWW, 16 from 24 points. average 2 points per game, and equal to 76 per season, good form.

5 Likes

Those were exactly my words when we were awarded a free kick in that spot… simply too good for Banega to miss.

4 Likes

That’s not an easy place to get the ball up and down like that either. Add in that the wall actually jumped too, it was a remarkable effort.

2 Likes