M32: Sevilla v Valladolid [2019-20]

Sevilla, masters of draws!

Also, can’t blame Ocampos for that. Rony Lopes for Ocampos in the last 5-6 minutes when we need a goal badly? #LOPEOUT

3 Likes

Very much so… more than covid19 lol

2 Likes

I’ll take the point. I couldn’t see us scoring. The penalty saved us but maybe we should have got the Munir goal.

It’s disappointing in terms of our attacking play but it was never gonna be easy going one down to Valladolid. It shows how much we lacking up front. For me, we need 2 top strikers in the offseason. I’m not convinced with En Neysri and de Jong works hard and holds the ball up well but doesn’t score enough either.

A creative midfielder or attacking midfielder might be needed to, especially to replace Banega.

It’s a point but the typical Sevilla way we making heavy weather of getting top 4 now. We have given our rivals a chance to close the gap. They all play each other too so likely to gap will close. Hopefully both games will end a draw haha.

On to leganes away next. We have to win that now. Got to win a game soon otherwise we will blow top 4, which would be a big shame. Vamos Sevilla!

3 Likes

Very surprised we got the pen it looked very doubtful at 1st . This ref was giving us nothing, the valladolid players were pulling and pushing us all over the place and the free kicks were all going their way.
No complaint re the Munir goal, VAR clearly showed him off side but that back heel from Ocampos in the 1st half. Wow! I couldn’t help feel that Ben Yedder would have buried the re-bound. It was another 2 points thrown away but we are still 5 points clear of Getafe who have a tough game against La Real coming up, a draw would be a good result for us plus we can all hope for a miracle for Alaves tomorrow against A madrid.
The games are coming thick and fast let’s hope our legs last out.

3 Likes

I think Suso helped to relieve some pressure off Banega. Someone else who could actually hold the ball, dribble, and pick a pass, made a huge difference. His cross led to the eventual penalty.

Munir was much better as the focal point cause he could actually play with the ball at his feet. Vázquez became useless as he isn’t the type of player to excel away from the box. Unless we’re gonna have possession in and around the 18, we won’t see any magic from him.

Éver found YEN twice, who couldn’t even come close to getting the ball. He needs to go on loan to Granada or sum’n. We can’t go into the CL with that kind of wastefulness. Luuk could leave too. Carlos Fernandez is better than both. Open and shut case.

We have an easier run-in than the chasing pack. But after seeing this display, does it even really matter? Next thing you know, Mesa & co. will do a number on us too. I swear to dog, if Lope f cks this up…

5 Likes

You see Lope in his dug out? That’s a man right there who is not in control of his business. Things he does, complaining to ref, praying to God, rolling his eyes and biting his nails. That’s why I liked Emery, that man is until the last second thinking and analyzing what’s the next plan and believes it. Lope is banking on pure luck. Nothing changed, only players changed, we are like expensive Valladolid, 200 million of player worth more then them, that’s just the quality difference that plus Luck that bought us a few more victories.

5 Likes

if you can’t beat a relegation candidate at you own avenue you don’t deserve to be at CL. CL opponents would be much harder to beat.

As for the match it was total despair. The team never looked likely to score at all. Our attacks were too predictable since it all depended on the right wing. We spend too much time building an attack which give the opponents a lot of time to organize at the back.

Our forwards on the other hand are hopelessly clumsy. Can’t even control the bal let alone shoot it.

3 Likes

Just imagining this could’ve all been different if Lope had started with Dabbur… :open_mouth: :thinking: :pensive:

He looked the same when Osasuna came back from 2-0 down with 10-men. Hopeless. Even after we snatched the victory. He knew he wasn’t, and still ain’t shit.

Yo, every time i make an excuse for him, he just proves why it might be a mistake to keep him beyond this season. He hasn’t shown me that he’s learned anything. At this point, he has no choice but to play Munir at striker, cause nothing else has worked.

Always needing halftime to come to make adjustments? Really?? I could count on 1 hand the number of times we’ve played well. This man is fraudin’ his way in the top 4.

3 Likes

Unfortunately Edi the board will see Fourth as a success and we will be stuck with Lope for the foreseeable. Only way he loses his job IMO is if we drop out of Europe all together, he gets the bonus ball of at least getting a shot of winning the Europa League to qualify if he somehow managed to balls up the League season.

1 Like

Still unbeaten but a draw at home to Valladolid isn’t good enough.
Our play is just far too predictable and we’re lacking desperately in creativity and goals. New forwards needed urgently next season as we’re probably the worst we’ve been in years in that area.
We’re in 4th for now but it’s weird as I think we’ve been unconvincing all season. I think a lot of that is down to a few teams around us also being below par. Still don’t believe Lope is the man for us going forward.

5 Likes

This happens way to much in football, its just terrible management. There has to more positive points and progressions to stay with this Trainer then there have been throughout the whole season. If they decide the standings is everything. We will end up, going to the off season preparing with the same staff with bad ideas, players and playstyle and you will see we won´t get as lucky as we did this year, you will be seeing yourself at the 12th place after the first weeks, then they turn on him and he´s the man on the kicking block, while having invested another off season and months with him in the squad all completely lost. You will be looking for an imergency manager replacement which is always an awkward moment to try clean up the mess made before and just pretty downhill from there. Until you start again with a new slate.

4 Likes

I kinda hate the timing for these games, it’s 4am my time and I was on shift duty so I had to skip, the result and everyone’s responses make me feel like I got lucky, last thing I need is a shitshow to ramp up my blood pressure after two overnights.

I don’t get why Sevilla managers are infatuated with putting Mudo together with Banega, anyone with half a brain or who has watched any decent amount of games would have seen that it has not worked, does not work and won’t work. Putting them out there is just asking for the midfield to be overrun. Either Lope completely disregarded any matches from the past seasons or regards himself as a genius, and I can very confidently say he is not.

From your comments I can see the likes of De Jong, En-Nesyri and Suso were most unsatisfactory, which is sad since the latter two were seeing some form before the suspension of games, now even off the bench they are a liability; but aside from them the squad does not have any really impact players. This is down to Monchi, adding Lopes that’s 3 20m signings that have not made the grade, don’t know if Suso’s purchase is optional or not but at this stage, that 20m is better off somewhere else, like Campana. Also Valladolid’s best defender Salisu didn’t even see the pitch, let that sink in.

I said it after the draw with Villarreal we needed to win these three games and now we’ve flunked the first of them, leading to a fourth consecutive draw and things are not too rosy after the Derby win. Honestly, if Lope didn’t win both Derby games he would be in a lot hotter water, seeing him put out boring teams with little to no tactics is just taking the piss, and only after the team falls behind does he pull out the 3-5-2 in hopes something sticks. I had my doubts in the mid-season review and now I am calling him out - he will take the club nowhere and should leave, yet as mentioned he would need a royal fkup of Machin or Montella proportions to be kicked out, this would mean losing CL football and losing the Europa; the former is actually likely if he continues such non-tactics but the latter is down to luck, which he has enough to live by.

Oh, and subbing in Portugal’s latest technological stealth fighter Rony Lopes for Ocampos in the last 5 minutes? Really? That’s your ace-in-the-hole? If the club fails at anything in the offseason I hope they at least get rid of Lope.

6 Likes

Can’t really do much about the kick off times I’m afraid. We live around 600mtrs higher than Sevilla city itself and it’s currently 32c in the shade at 20:30. You can probably add 4 or 5 degs to that figure down in the city.

5 Likes

I totally get it and know it’s tough on the players to play in 30 plus degrees. At least in Spain it’s dry and hot; in Asia where it’s hot and humid playing sports outdoors is asking for a torrid time as everything starts clinging to you after a few minutes.

I remember Chelsea coming here quite some time ago when Kalou was a starter and McEachran was a rising star, they zipped around the pitch like a Premier League team for the first 20 minutes or so until the humidity set in, add in a stadium of 40k plus people and Chelsea were just happy to pass the ball around like a training session for the last half hour. Even they can’t go throttle here.

2 Likes