M22: Sevilla v Alavés [2019-20]

World Clock: 1230 EST / 1830 CET / 430 AEST

If anyone was struggling to find words to describe our last outing:

Lopetegui, as any manager would, took all of the blame for the debacle in Miranda:

“Football punishes you when you don’t start well. […] We weren’t at a good enough level, and that starts with me.”

Hopefully it’s the last time we see anything of the like this year.

It’s a bit light in defense as Carriço still hasn’t fully recovered, and Diego Carlos is suspended. Óliver has also been left out with a slight injury. Munir has been dropped, while Suso makes his maiden appearance on the team sheet. Bono continues to sit out as well.

Projected XI: Vaclík; Navas, Kounde, Gómez, Reguilón; Fernando, Jordán, Banega; Suso, De Jong, Ocampos.

Alavés has travelled without Lucas Pérez, who is one half of their brilliant striking duo (8G/4A). Aleix is also unable to play due to a clause in his loan deal. They’ll have to rely heavily on Joselu to add to his own 8-goal tally.

After fine tuning the squad during the January window, much is expected in the 2nd half of the season. It could be a debut for Cádiz-born attacker Suso Fernández, to breathe new life into the Sevilla forward line. It would be concerning if Lope is struggling to motivate the squad after the good work that’s been done so far this campaign. It was only a week ago when the team was starting to find their groove. The fans will want to forget the Copa loss quickly and remember what strides were being made in the league.

#JustWin

1 Like

Hope Suso gets off to a good start.

Massive game for us. It’s a winnable home game and we need to make it count! Vamos Sevilla!

Yeah after the debacle against mirandes, I wanna see a highly motivated squad today. I like the idea of directly putting Suso in there, putting some pressure on Suso but also the rest of the team. Ocampos and Suso on the wings, means again the crosses Will have to come from the fullbacks and we still have the threat of the wingers to go inside. Looking forward to see us play again. Vamoss mi Sevilla!

2 Likes

We should be able to beat them. But with Lopetegui… you never know!

1 Like

The habitual XI. As long as we start off like we did last week, we should be fine.

1 Like

With Nolito and De Jong we are slow as hell. Add to that the unmotivated Banega… oh my!

1 Like

You know it’s bad when Sergi Gómez gets a reprieve. :rofl:

Mudo should be starting over him.

We don’t have any better so yeah, Mudo maybe.

However, the attacking trio should be: Ocampos - En Nesyri - Suso.

Hopefully that would work over the time and we’d at least hold on to the 4th, although it’s quite difficult with other teams getting in form and purchasing better players like Villarreal for instances. We need luck with adaptation etc. and fingers crossed for a nice long run in EL as I doubt we are true contenders with this coach and the mentality that he instills (which is not a winner’s mentality).

1 Like

I agree. Not happy with the lineup either. Too many slow players. Lopetegui keeps persisting with it. Would be better to give the new lads a go. Plus we will miss Óliver tonight. Bit concerned where Banega’s heads at too. Risky lineup, but hopefully we can still win. Vamos!

3 moments where the alaves defense is pulling and manhandling Luuk de Jong. Hope the ref draws some boundaries there.

Bergwijn just scored for Spurs. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: What might have been!

Where is the goal coming from?

best run of the game, holding midfielder Fernando. Couldn´t find the control and balance.

Furthermore, 0 chances, legitimately…

Reguillons crossing as well, worthless.

1 Like

Vacliks leg saving the first half scoreboard.

Hopefully that front 3 gets buried along with that 1st half. What does Lope expect to be different?

Alcacer just scored. They will be hot on our tails now