Champions League Play-Off Second Leg (vs. Basaksehir)

Still processing that moment last night when the announcer yelled GOLAZO thinking they’d scored on their last FK off the post and a dark vision of the future with a non-Champions League life flashed before my eyes. That game was terrifying but so so Sevilla-esque. Not thrilled with how we look to start the season, but we are back on the big stage of CL and it feels great after waiting all summer long so VAMOS!!!

If only, hasn’t rained this year really, just one or two downpours that lasted for an hour.

That final stretch was like the full 90 minutes of last year’s Matchday 6 decider vs Lyon condensed into 10 minutes! The classic Sevilla way. The severity of the game allowed me to notice a few more things as we search for our ideal 11. We played really well during certain spells, especially at the start of each half.

To start with the midfield, Banega’s ball control failed him a few times, which is what helped us dominate a few of our previous games. IB tried to have a man on him as much as possible, so it was never gonna be easy for him. It’s nice to see Nzonzi in that #8 role, cause his stature can get him in some great scoring positions. I’m not sure if he can excel there, but his growth surprised us all last season, so why not? He missed a sitter though. Also, Pizarro was great as an anchor, but he started to take a few too many risks in those tackles. Might see a few red cards from those La Liga refs.

In defense, I may not like Mercado at RB, or think Pareja is passed it (at this level at least), but our defensive system is lacking. It was a complete breakdown that lead to that 1st goal. Eventually, we can improve as a team and earn a few clean sheets, but right now, I don’t know what our best back-4 is: something like Escudero + 3 more? At GK, I’m just hoping for Soria’s return, cause Rico needs a bit of time on the bench. His confidence is shook, and that contract renewal could cause a reverse effect on his form.

As for the front 3, they posed several threats, which is promising. Navas has been the best so far in terms of contribution. Sometimes the buildup can get stuck cause he refuses to cut infield, but we’ll see what happens when the team begins to gel a bit more. Like Chris said, Correa made a lot of goods moves, except for his final ball. It’d be nice to see him in a false-9 role, but right now it’s a tight battle at LW with Nolito. Ben Yedder scored another difficult goal. I wish he had more pace cause then he’d be deadly. All I ask from him is consistency. After that hattrick vs Real Sociedad, he started to go missing. But he’s claiming his spot for now.

Shoutout to Basaksehir for making this tie exciting (for the neutral), but for giving us an early lesson. It was very close to ending differently, but hopefully this teaches us to be better prepared and have more poise when it comes to finishing the job, especially at the RSP. Let’s end this first stretch of matches with a bang at Getafe!

I just hope that Lenglet improves soon otherwise he’s going to cost us a fair few games this season. I’ve not been very impressed with him since the Arsenal game, he is our weakest link in defence at the moment.

Agreed. I liked Lenglet in the 3-5-2 system, but this time around he is showing a lot of weakness, especially in tackling.

Carrico needs to return quick, and we should try Mercado as a CB pair, as he is not well fitted for a RB when Corchia is ready to play. Mercado should only feature at RB if Corchia is not available.

Should also try Kjaer in CL more. Surprised how he didn’t feature in the matches vs. the turks when he knew them very well from he turkish league for 2 seasons in a row.

YES! SPARTAK