Alaves away - Match Comments

Originally published at: http://monchismen.com/alaves-away-match-comments/

Without a league win since early December, a beleaguered Sevilla travel north for a game they have no choice but to raise themselves for. Despite a couple of wins against Cadiz since Montella took charge, the mood around the club could clearly be better. After the humiliating gran derbi defeat last weekend, a win against Alaves would be worth a lot more than the already vital 3 points. It could prove to be a pivotal game in our quest to kick start our faltering season, and generate some more positive vibes in Nervion.

The bad news already is that we go into this game in 6th place without even kicking a ball, thanks to a resurgent Villareal who are now ahead of us after their impressive win in the Bernabeu. Realistically, Real Madrid are not going to be this bad for long, so as much as I love to see them lose, that result did not help us in the long term. Valencia, who also won 2-1 away against Depor, are now 11 points ahead of us in 3rd place. Even at this stage in the season, there is a fear that Champions League qualification could be slipping away unless we put together a good run of form soon… and that is what makes this game at Alaves all the more important. To come away with a loss is unthinkable.

Realistically, every team has a poor patch in the season, so we need to make sure that ours has officially ended. Do we have any reasons for optimism? Well despite the final result, and subsequent backlash of humiliation, there were actually a few promising signs to chew over against :poop: last weekend. We looked far more competitive and entertaining than we had been recently under Berizzo, and were dangerous, albeit a bit reckless, when going forward. And, had N’Zonzi’s header been only a few inches lower, we would have been at 4-4 with around 20 minutes remaining. Who knows how that would have swung the momentum, not just for the game, but for the season?

Also, another positive that kind of slipped under the radar of gloom, is that new Brazilian signing Guilherme Arana has arrived in Sevilla and is available for selection. From what I have seen he looks a promising talent. A predominantly left sided attacking full back, with comparisons to Sevilla legend Adriano to be expected. If he is half as successful as Adriano he would be considered a success. At only 20 years of age, one would hope the weight of expectation does not rest too heavy on his shoulders. He should be given time to adapt and grow in his new surroundings, and I am sure given the right environment, he can grow into a player who will eventually replace Escudero as our first choice in that area.

A few notable things from the squad list… again no sign of PH Ganso (who must surely have kicked his last ball in a Sevilla shirt), but also that we have THREE goalkeepers in the squad, with Fabrice Ondoa joining the travelling party! Hopefully this is a symbolic warning to Sergio Rico and David Soria that their place between the sticks is not a guarantee, or maybe one of the two first choice keepers is carrying a knock? Whatever the reason Montella has for travelling with three goalkeepers we can only guess.

As for the game, Alaves will no doubt be rubbing their hands in expectation of facing us in this time of weakness, and are sure to feel confident of a big scalp in front of their home fans. One thing is for certain, Sevilla cannot go into this game under any false pretenses, and Montella must pick his strongest available team.

So, with everything considered I’m going for a narrow 2-1 win, but with the hosts giving us a really hard time.

Transfer News

Some promising news is that Chelsea’s big Belgian forward Michy Batshuayi looks like joining us on loan until the end of the season. With the player looking to force himself into the Belgian World Cup squad and in desperate need of playing time and goals, this could be a very good move for both parties, as we desperately need someone other than Ben Yedder to rely on. Batshuayi also offers us some physical presence that we are sometimes lacking.

2 Likes

Great report jonjar.
The only thing I would add is that maybe the next 3 games being away is not such a bad thing at the moment. There will be a lot less pressure on the players than playing in front of 30,000 Sevillistas whistling every small mistake. Let’s hope we can get a good win today and regain a bit of confidence, because lose the next 3 games and the knives will be out.

1 Like

Batshuayi is welcomed in the team. He is a powerful striker who can help us score many goals in this second part of the season. The only pity is that he will not be available for CL. However, I think in all fairness, it is a common feeling that we won’t get past the tie with Man Utd, so all in all, he would have lost 2 matches, while playing in the rest of the others and maybe including one of the cup matches vs. Atletico if he comes soon enough.

As for today’s match, absolutely nothing less than 3 points are expected. We need to keep pace with the 4th place and if we can’t manage a lot of points in the coming 4-5 matches (considered a bit easier than the ones to come after these ones), then we definitely do not have any business in the CL next season.

Rico
Mercado Kjaer Lenglet Carole
Guido Geis
Navas Banega Nolito
WBY

That’s a really slow starting 11

1 Like

I expect nothing from the game. I’ve seen a slight improvement in attitude and a slightly more aligned back four. But even against Cadiz there were gaping defensive holes and errors. I don’t expect any improvement up front without Correa. We’ll have to scrap or they’ll bully the 3 points from us.

Just bring on N’Zonzi, Sarabia and Correa. This is unwatchable

Pathetic display in the first half. Not even sure what to expect. Often there’s the feeling that we are on the same level as Alaves, just that we like to keep the ball more, without doing anything productive with it.

Vamos Sevilla! We really need to win this! We need to do more going forward, not enough so far

Will somebody please tel Pizarro that you are allowed to pass the ball forewards

We’re winning the ball back easily but not doing much with it. We’re playing 3-4-1-2 going forward, but even with our players in space across the field, we still can’t pick a pass. I wish Geis would show us more of his passing range, but his contributions have been mostly defensive. I dont think he’s settled into the team yet. Nolito is partnering WBY up top, but he’s too busy trying to outperform Guidetti in who’s worse. Banega is our only ball player out there, and he ain’t controlling the ball as well as he usually does.

It’s a match i wouldn’t mind seeing Mudo play. But still, i’m not too optimistic right now. And are we really struggling against the likes of Ibai?? Smh

We are a pathetic club at the moment. No fight, no passion. Going through the motions of a game. This isn’t the Sevilla I have grown to love!

1 Like

And to know Montella gave up money to come here…

20 minutes to salvage a game in which I don’t recall one clear cut chance or shot on their goal.

We can forget about top 4 now, it’s over

1 Like

Take these useless geriatric wingers out FFS. What the fuck are you waiting for?

Does Montella know we’re losing?

Rico has 5 minutes late on that punch. Should have probably gotten a penalty in my opinion. He’s been poor.The whole fucking team has been poor.

1 Like

Make the 3rd sub. What the hell are you waiting for?

and your final sub is corchia? WTF?

Needs a goal. Brings on a RB and the ghost of the homeless man’s Bacca.

Meanwhile, Nzonzi, Tucu and Mudo are sitting on the bench.

1 Like

right after going up a man and Mercado’s great cross. Pathetic