19/20 UEL R16: Sevilla v Roma {Single-Leg}

UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE — ROUND OF 16
SEVILLA FC vs. AS ROMA

In a match that can be dubbed the Monchi derbi, Sevilla takes on an in-form Roma side intent on taking the alternative route towards Champions League qualification.

As the last of the major domestic leagues came to an end last weekend, the European competitions are finally allowed to resume. The remainder of the Europa League will take place in various venues in Germany, with the exception of the round of 16 ties previously started.

After starting the post-lockdown season with 3 consecutive defeats, the Giallorossi finished their Serie A campaign with 8 undefeated matches (7W, 1D). Although missing a few important players in Smalling & Veretout, head coach Paulo Fonseca remains confident about his squad: “There is no need to motivate the team, as they already know this is important. […] I always want the same thing and that is to win.”

Probable Roma XI (3-4-2-1): López; Mancini, Ibáñez, Kolarov; Peres, Diawara, Cristante, Zappacosta; Zaniolo, Mkhitaryan; Dzeko.

Gudelj is the only omission as he’s still in quarantine after testing positive for Covid-19 last week. Therefore, Fernando will most likely deputize as the #6. However, Lopetegui has mentioned there may be a doubt in him taking part: “Fernando finished the season with injury, but has improved. We’ll wait until [game day] to make a final decision.”

Projected XI (4-3-3): Bono; Navas, Kounde, Diego Carlos, Reguilón; Fernando, Jordán, Banega; Ocampos, De Jong, Munir.

It will be interesting to see what state Sevilla turns up in after a disruptive break in their preparation due to Gudelj’s positive test result. Lopetegui has relied on a stable defence to make his team a difficult opponent, having kept 5 clean sheets in the last 6 games.

Despite already qualifying for next season’s Champions League, this tournament gives Julen a chance to redeem himself in knockout competition. The Copa del Rey upset suffered at the hands of Segunda side Mirandés last January triggered a run of a bad form, which nearly led to an early exit to Cluj in the round of 32. There is no doubt that the players are motivated to go for more and finish this campaign with silverware. Does Lopetegui have the right game plan to send Sevilla on a path for their 6th Europa League title?

#VamosMiSevilla
#VamosPorLaSexta

4 Likes

It’s a tough game but one our team should relish. The pressure is off after sealing the champions league place and hopefully that allows us to play well and express ourselves more. Let’s do this. Vamos!

1 Like

I am hoping they are just as tired as Inter yesterday, very uninspired

2 Likes

Suso better step his game up going against his old Serie A rivals. I don’t mind him getting the start cause Munir is great off the bench.

En-Nesyri is a pressing machine. We get so many loose balls from his work rate alone. I just don’t expect him to score. (Prove me wrong tho.)

2 Likes

In real terms this game is evenly matched (referee being the wildcard).

In favour of Roma, they have been playing and more importantly winning and scoring bags of goals (big problem).

In favour of Sevilla, they have the psychological indian sign over competitors in Europa league, being five times winner, el ‘pentacampeon’

There’s also a historical parallel about coming in less prepared, when Yugoslavia were removed from Euro 92 at the last minute because of their civil war, Denmark (who hadn’t qualified) were elected to take their place. The players were holidaying on the beaches all over Europe and out of condition but received the phone call to get back and participate. Denmark won Euro 92.

2 Likes

Ennesyri doesn’t have the physical strength to fight against any defensive line playing in Seria A. True he is pressing hard but because of that the man gets breathless easily.

3 Likes

YEN never gets tired of tracking back. But maybe you’re talking about when it’s time to finish a chance? He exhausts too much energy, and has none left at the end of the run?

I just think he needs to polish his game. Subtle movements that his game needs to give him greater success.

4 Likes

I like him as a end game counter attacker when th spaces open up. In a closed game he seems to struggle and becomes useless

2 Likes

Should Lope be biting his nails? I’ve been a life long nail biter, until Covid-19, I’ve not had my fingers in my mouth in almost 5 months now. :joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Ocampos looks super motivated early.

1 Like

That was close from Jules.

Very close. We started well! Positive signs!

1 Like

He’ll have no finger nails left the way he’s going haha :joy:

2 Likes

What a goal that was. :sweat_smile: Pau Lopez is so shit.

4 Likes

So nice…thank you Reguilon

3 Likes

Absolutely brilliant Reguilon

3 Likes

Vamos Regi! Great pace shown but awful goalkeeping Lmao

1 Like

What a game so far, nice possession nice control. and again it’s Sergio Reguilon with a great goal, vamosss

3 Likes

Damn Regui! What a run and finish! You just might be off to Chelsea now! :joy:

VAMOS!!!

2 Likes

Almost in again, almost making Poo Lopez look :poop: again.